Wishing you everything good in life as you have helped so many children this year!
This is a list of what we did at Pasteur in 2016:
- Simply Smart Kids - 4 session parenting program working with parents/caregivers. Babysitting for children. Meals provided. Parents given canvas book bags, adult T-shirts and children's T-shirts that said "I am a parent of a Simply Smart Kid" or "I am a Simply Smart Kid." Books & Educational Toys were included.
- Field Trip for 6th Graders to see The Diary of Anne Frank performed live at the Jewish Ensemble Theatre. We had a Holocaust discussion the week before and after seeing the play.
- Provided books for our First Grade reading program. Once a week a reader reads a book to the class and gives the book to a child to keep and the same book to the teacher for the class. Great program of putting a new book in a child's home.
- Bought 150 simple flutes for an after school music class for 150 students.
- Earth Day - Every classroom was visited by a volunteer reader who read an appropriate book about the Earth and discussed ways to save it. Each child received a packet of seeds to plant.
- We paid for a bus to take 40 students to a Tiger game.
Tickets were donated.
- 40 Amazon Fire Kindle Tablets were given to the 6th graders who were promoted to 7th grade. The students were given a certificate to redeem at a workshop a few weeks later to learn about using the tablet for educational purposes and internet safety.
- Provided funds for Summer in the City to run a program during summer school and a 2 week summer camp which included breakfast and lunch. The children were taken on field trips to Detroit to play, paint, plant, do sports and learn.
- $1,000 scholarship given to a Pasteur alum to go to Bowling Green State University.
- $100 was spent on underwear and sweatpants to have on hand in the office for accidents.
- Provided a bus to take special need students on a field trip to Friendship Circle in West Bloomfield.
- Provided food, gift cards and books for 60 families in need for
- Now we are getting ready to create a 7' x 15' glass mosaic for the Main Detroit Public Library on Woodward. Every class was visited by a reader who spoke about the theme of the Mosaic - The Earth. All the children drew pictures which will be the inspiration for the design by Gail Kaplan.
We are so grateful to EVERYONE for EVERY gift you have sent!
Special thanks to those who have sent in extra large gifts for 2016:
Penny Bernstein Blumenstein, Ken Eisenberg, Marjorie & Donald Epstein, Barry Waldman, Anne Borinstein Weinstock, the William A. & Shirley P. Yolles Foundation.
Thanks to those who have sent large gifts in the past! It is because of ALL of you that we have been able to do as much as we do for our Pasteur kids.
THANKS TO OUR 2016 WONDERFUL VOLUNTEERS!
We could not do it without you!
Joanie Willens Abraham, Robert Alpiner, Hayden Archer, Liz Marks Bank, Carol Karbel Blender, Shari Cohen, Howard Davis, Bill Edmunds, Linda Dorfman Feldman, Marcy Tatken Feldman, Henry Feinberg, Joel Gershenson, Geri Hicks, Richard Holmes, Patrick Hoye, Elizabeth Jacobs, Marilyn Jacobson, Paula Marks Kalt, Barbara Finsilver Kaplan, Barbara Braverman Larkey, Marjorie Mintz Levine, Marlene Lewis, Cary Levy, Debbie Blocker Manning, John Marx, Tomeka Munford, Berna Friedman Ravitz, Carol Rosenfeld, Judy Calfin Schneider, Cherry Smith, Bonnie Sowa, Deborah McClendon Terrell, Gaye Tischler, Wendy Bernstein Wagenheim, Barry Waldman, Jan Wanetick, Gail Whitty, Carol Winokur & Neil Zechman.
Feel free to join us in 2017!
Wishing you a healthy, happy new year!